Alexa Rank, which was named after the library of Alexandria, gauges how popular a website is. Just as you can find out the popularity of a book by checking its rank on Amazon, you can see the ranking of websites ranging from CNN.com and Pexels to MTV and YouTube by checking their rankings on Alexa.
In this post, we will go through some easy ways to improve your rank.
How to Increase Alexa rank of a website?
What is Alexa Rank?
Alexa is a web traffic analysis service that provides the ranking of websites across the globe. It works on a vast database of websites with a wide range of categories ranging from Arts, Business and Finance, Sports, News and Media, to People & Society.
How is Alexa Rank Calculated?
Alexa rank is based on the number of people visiting the site each month. The algorithms reach out to all the pages on the site and give a rank based on the popularity of each page. The ranking is provided in fractions of a point.
For example, the Alexa rank for ‘YouTube’ is given as 2,300,000 m/s (millions of monthly unique users). So it means that 2/3rd of the people in the world are visiting this website daily. This data is also updated by Google separately with data from their search engine every day.
The Alexa rank for ‘MTV’ is 1,000,000 m/s (in millions of monthly unique users). So it means that 1/10th of the people in the world are visiting this website daily.
Why Should You Improve Your Alexa Rank?
The website performs better (better features, better content etc.) when it reaches more people. People searching on the internet are not necessarily looking for your website; they are searching for a particular topic. Moreover, lots of other websites that are related to your subject are also being ranked. Thus, even if the search is relevant to your website, if it is not found among the top rankings, it is not likely to be seen. As per Alexa’s data on their blog, websites with a higher rank receive more traffic than others.
So it makes sense to improve your ranking and get noticed by more visitors across the web.
Does it Really Matter?
Yes. It matters a lot. For example:
Steps to Rank Higher on Alexa
Optimizing your site or blog with the help of Google Webmaster Tools and working social media marketing campaigns will only help in improving your rank for search engines. However, to improve the ranking on Alexa, you have to take efforts as well. Here are some easy ways:
- Create a mailing list and include it on your website. You can use MailChimp, AWeber or any other newsletter software that you like.
- Tag the URL using keywords in all your social media posts. For example, if you are running a blog on hiking trails, tag all the posts with relevant keywords such as “hiking”, “hiking trails”, “trail” etc. This will help Alexa know about your website and thus help you to get a higher rank.
- Get more people to visit your website regularly. The more people visit your website or blog, the higher you rank will be on Alexa. So, do not forget to get your content shared and linked to other websites as well.
- Use social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn to share your blog posts. LinkedIn is especially important because most professionals use it to discover new websites and tools.
- Submit your blog post/articles to places like Medium, Tumblr, Storify etc. They are all popular on Alexa.
- Write a book, series of articles, or content that helps you have regular visitors on your website.
- If you are a software developer, create a custom tool or an app for your visitors. This will help you get more traffic than the site is getting now. This is especially important for websites/blogs that have detailed information about products and services as search engine users prefer to enter keywords in their search terms when they go to the site to purchase or take up services.
Stay tuned for our next post, where we will talk about other important ranking factors that all websites and blogs should consider.
How can you get ranked higher on Alexa? Let us know in the comments.